May 14, 2013

Book Fairs and logic....

Last week I went to a Scholastic Warehouse book sale. Everybody who ever went to school or has kids in school knows about Scholastic book orders- I totally remember the excitement of making an order and the anticipation of those new books' arrival!  The warehouse sale was basically a chance to see every book Scholastic has available, and shop at some great prices. Last year, I decided to buy each of the kids I read with at work a book to give them at the end of year. A warehouse sale was a perfect chance to do the same this year!

Of course, Avery wanted to go with me. But the flyer indicated that children under the age of 15 were not allowed in the warehouse, and so I had to tell her she could not come. She was incensed! After sputtering wildly about how unfair that was she calmed down and presented a rational argument for why this was wrong. Her list went something like this:

Advantages:
1. As a kid, she would be very helpful in choosing books for other kids; she knows what kids like.
2. She could help carry things.
3. She is good company, and I wouldn't be lonely while shopping!

Disadvantages:
1. Kids can be noisy.
2. Kids carry germs.

She wisely concluded that the advantages far outweighed the disadvantages, in her opinion.

I rather agree, don't you?

I was able to redeem Scholastic for her by taking her to a book fair/sale at another school today. We totally scored 7 or 8 books for a whopping $24.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You really want to make me smile? Add a comment!